Trinity Baptist Church was organized by Pastor E.T. Lewis along with a few faithful Christians on October 14, 1891. Under God’s inspiration, those members joined together to purchase the property on which the church is currently located. The first church building was erected in July 1911. Pastor Lewis served Trinity for 49 years until his departure in 1940. During his tenure he laid the foundation for the church as it exists today.
The Reverend Washington Burrell succeeded Pastor Lewis. Following Rev. Burrell the Reverend Earl E. Hatcher became the next Pastor in 1966 until 1979.
Faithfully following his calling, in 1979 the Reverend John Eatmon became the new pastor. Tragically, on March 8, 1985, the church building was destroyed by fire and The Pastor Eatmon passed away on May 15, 1990.
Reverend C.L. Smiley was installed on December 8, 1991 where he remained until 1995. Shortly thereafter, Pastor Banks humbly began his tenure on Sunday, August 31, 1997; he was installed on Sunday, December 7, 1997. Pastor Banks brought with him Trinity’s exuberant First Lady, Rhonda Banks and his three (3) children, Chloe, Aramis and Chanel.
On Saturday, July 14, 2001, construction of the new building began on the property that was acquired in 1966. The groundbreaking ceremony was held and Pastor Banks shoveled the first load of dirt. Also in attendance for this momentous occasion were First Lady Rhonda Banks, a number of Trinity members and several officials from the District of Columbia government. Actual construction on the new facility began Monday, August 06, 2001. Approximately, 15 months later, on Saturday, October 26, 2002, Trinity marched into the new edifice.
In April 2007, with his focus towards evangelism, he spearheaded Trinity in the purchase of additional property.